Since the fuel jetty in Bowness closed in 2015 there have been a number of discussions on new fuel stations on the lake.
At Windermere Marina Village we offer a diesel station in our entrance channel but unfortunately any plans for petrol to be installed elsewhere haven’t yet come to fruition. Until such time a petrol pump is installed on the lake, we would ask that the following guidelines are strictly followed to help make refuelling by hand as safe as possible:
Never refuel with petrol (or diesel) within the Marina – this is a serious fire and pollution risk.
Refuelling by hand should be done on the entrance channel jetty where the diesel station is located. This location is away from other boats, has a stepped jetty at different heights for easier refueling, and has pollution spill kits and fire-fighting equipment on hand. It is also close to the carpark, aiding safer and quicker transfer of fuel from vehicles.
When using our Windermere Marina Village diesel station and refuelling jetty please ensure:
- The engine is switched OFF.
- The boat is unoccupied and crew/guests are a safe distance away onshore and all windows and hatches are closed.
- There are no naked flames or other sources of ignition.
- Any spills are cleaned up before the boat is restarted.
- The boat engine blower (if fitted) is run for 5 minutes before the engine is started to dissipate fumes.
- If there is a strong smell of fuel after refuelling do not assume all is OK. Ventilate the boat and if the smell remains, investigate the source.
One last tip is to ensure you are filling the correct tank on the boat. Always check the deck fitting as they are often located next to water or waste fittings.
Refuelling with cans is difficult. Consider purchasing a device to help transfer the fuel from can to boat safely. Equipment such as THIS is relatively cheap and easy to use.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us at the Marina Reception if you have any queries or would like further advice.
Using our Diesel Station at Windermere Marina Village
The pump is located in the entrance channel at Windermere Marina Village, giving great access for Marina customers and other lake users. The channel and lake leading to the Marina can be shallow though so our draft limit is 4' or 1.2m.
Diesel is available by appointment only and needs to be booked in advance (ideally 24hrs). This means we can be in attendance at the pump at the right time, not keep you waiting and avoid any queuing or congestion in the channel area.
A declaration of fuel usage will be completed prior to dispensing fuel and held on file for future reference. Once fuel has been dispensed, payment will be taken by card (only) over the phone. The current pump price is £1.17 litre (a discount applies to Windermere Marina Village berth holders) based on the standard 60/40 split. Rate subject to change. Correct as of 15th March 2018.
Call the Marina on 015394 46551 or email [email protected] to book an appointment (24hrs notice required).
- Turn up at the fuel pump in the channel at the agreed time.
- Complete a declaration of use, if not done previously.
- Windermere Marina staff will dispense your fuel.
- Have your card ready for payment to be taken over the phone.